Monday, October 10

Too soon for snow

It was one of those mornings when I knew I wouldn't like what I saw out of the bedroom window. On Sunday it started to snow in the mountains; the weathermen first warned us there would be snow above 9000 feet, then 7000 feet, then at 5280 overnight.

When I woke at 4:30am I could see a dull light from the window. It was lighter than normal for this time of year and a sure sign that it snowed overnight. I didn't look out of the window until 6am, mainly because I knew that when I did I would frantically start putting on waterproof clothes, hats, gloves and boots.

At 6:05am I was out in the backyard armed with a broom and a feisty determination. Three young trees were bent over and touching the ground like weeping willows, their still-green leaves full of heavy wet snow. I bounded around like a cartoon character whacking their snow laden branches and shaking small trucks. These are my babies, I've known them since they were 1 inch diameter saplings, they have come so far and grown so much in 4 years. Damn it, why didn't they lose their leaves early!

No comments: