Friday, July 20

I was so smug....

I have been asked to stay on as a transitional PM for another month. My lay off date is now September 14th. I am starting to step up the job search, but this extra month will give me some room to take my time and hopefully find a good employment match.

I have got over the initial shock and mourning for my beloved NETg. I am now slowly realizing that I probably won't get another job as a remote employee and work from home. I have been so smug in my purple office these last 3+ years. I am so environmentally friendly, I only drive 4k miles a year. I can use 100% recycled printer paper in my home office. My work clothes are cheap Costco shorts and I wear Birkenstocks all year (my feet are so happy)....I haven't been to Talbots for dry clean clothes in years! I work from 7:30am to 5:30pm - I get out of bed at 7am and I eat a healthy lunch on the back patio with my cute kitties. Life has been good.

It's going to be a terrible shock to my system when I have to get up at 6am to start work at 8am after driving in rush hour traffic. I'll eat out more and be forced to eat unknown fats and chemicals. I am going to need a whole new wardrobe of clothes...whaaa, whaa, wha! I know that's what normal people do....it's just that I have experienced the other side; the efficient, healthy, environmentally friendly and economically pleasing telecommuting lifestyle! It's going to be so hard to go back to the old fashioned way.

I choose to look on the bright side - I may get lucky again and find a fun telecommuting job in a company with true professionals, just like NETg.

No comments: