Sunday, March 6

Work to Live, Live to Work?

Do you live to work or work to live?  I work to live. I have a job so I can enjoy life when I'm not working.  I try to not let work affect my life.  Don't get me wrong, my work is important and I take pride in my work, but it's not number one.  My life, my health and my well being are number one.  If I had kids they would be number one.  Not work.

I understand work brings money and elevates social status. But as long as I have a nice place to live, enough money for some toys, food and nice wine, I'm okay...I know who I am and don't continuously need to prove it to anyone else, I don't need hero worship from adorning colleagues. I don't need to kill myself climbing up the corporate ladder.  The subject matter of my work does not captivate me. May be is should. It did for a while, but I've been through the layoff, downsizing, acquisition, re-organization and ending-contract roller coaster and so far my hard work, loyalty and enthusiasm haven't made any difference.  In my experience it's a crap-shoot, keep trying, but don't let it take over your world.

I want to work so I have time and money to do fun things, to be able to travel, buy nice things and live a good life; I work to live!  Not everyone is like that, their work is their life, it defines them, it is their life, they will never give up climbing. During nonworking time many people like (need) to talk about their career path details, issues at work, incompetent people at work, layoff possibilities and when to change jobs.  I don't.  At weekends, holidays and vacation I want to get my weekday work as far away from me and my brain as I can.

However if someone in the social group wants to talk about their work, I find it quite stressful and resent their intrusion into my non-working social escape.Their discussions are usually not an even and balanced dialog, generally the other person (me) is talked at, talked over and they might as well be deaf and mute.  I'm sure it's probably very therapeutic for them, and I'm very sure they don't even consider if the other person (me), wants to hear about their job, or even gives a damn (I'm not trying to be a bitch, I'm trying to look after my own well-being).

It's like away-from-work time is my happy place and when someone talks about work, I'm not in my happy place, I'm down a coal mine, I'm in a difficult and stressful situation, I feel my forehead wrinkle and crease, my heart rate and blood pressure elevate, it is not fun for me!   Initially I'm happy to listen, nod and sigh sympathetically, but don't push it, not every social situation, not every conversation, please no!!!

If you who haven't yet figured out life and work is a crap-shoot, please give some consideration to those who have, those who want to escape from the anguish and turmoil, those who are trying to be happy, live long and enjoy some stress-free time before they stop living and are returned to the earth.   Next time, ask me about my hobbies and what I do in my free time, listen, nod and smile.  Thank you!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

yes, good point about 'work being a crap shoot'. I'll have to take that one with me as I do interviews and look for work in the fall!